Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Wiki Wiki

First, it was very cool to learn where the word Wiki comes from.  I had no idea, and it's always neat to learn where the terms we use everyday originated from. 

I added to the vacation spots wiki and the favorite restaurants wiki.  There are so many good places to eat in Louisville!  It's one of the things I love most about this city.  We have some GREAT local places that no one else has!  Also, I love to travel so I've been really fortunate to have gone to some of the most amazing places all over the world.  I just got back from Spain two days ago and it was so amazing.  To be able to walk admits buildings that are hundreds of years old is an experience you can't compare to much else.  I was also able to go to a little town called Segovia where the Roman aqueducts are still standing.  Feel cool to touch something made by Romans.  There are so many places in the States that I haven't been to though, so it was neat to hear what other people suggested.  I'm always planning my next trip. 

Wiki's are pretty fun to work with.  I think it's neat that so many people can add their thoughts.  I've always heard that groups are smarter than individuals and I guess Wiki's build off that idea.  When you can combine so many different thoughts everything turns out a hundred percent better than just one person's point of view. 

But I feel like they can be overwhelming too.  If you have a million people adding so many things all at once, reading it all because very daunting.  For one of my online classes their is a class Wiki where we can add things that might help other classmates.  With a class of 45 so many things get added to the Wiki that often if something is posted that would help me out, it's hard to find.  Wikipedia has it done nicely where you can search for a topic, but otherwise it would get unmanageable very quickly. 

All-in-all I think Wiki's are awesome.  There are so many ways that they can help libraries as well.  Think of an awesome way to reference where some one can post their question to a library Wiki and lots of librarians have the chance to review and help the patron.  It doesn't just fall to the person at the reference desk at the time of the question.  So you have access to the whole of library staff knowledge.  Think of how amazing that would be! 

No comments:

Post a Comment