Monday, March 7, 2011

Falling a little off the wagon...

I'm racing to catch up after falling off the wagon for a week with some hectic times here at westport.  But I'm ready to get neck and neck with the competition!

10b) In 2008 on March 16th, Betty Jean McMichal died.  She was buried two days later, which I'm sure was a sad event for all four of the sons she left behind.  You can read all about it in Courier Journal by searching Journals and Newspapers and then by using ProQuest.    

I have to take a moment and say that I really don't have much respect for Ebsco.  They beat out the market with crazy low prices on journal search engines but have so many embargos on articles and subscriptions that many times full text references are not available till long after the article has been published.  But because they are so low cost, more and more libraries are switching to them as cost saving measures and loosing their ability to access several full text items.  The are a very user friendly search engine, with lots of options, but they also have lots of stipulations on when you could get that full article you might need. 

10c) For Telos, Academic Search Premier lists several articles that are out there floating around.  But sadly, we don't have access to them.  No full text for us. :(  The British Journal for the History of Philosphy was a fun, interesting journal that I enjoyed exploring in it's full glory thanks to the full text options we have for all 12 calendar months!  Same goes for the Clinical Medicine and Research Journal.  Thanks Academic Search Premier! 

11a) Earning a respectable grade of a B, Duane F. Kelly manages a four star rated Vanguard investment.  I found this by looking through the Morningstar investment research center database. 

11b) I love using the Consumer Reports Database to look up all sorts of handy details about the products in our lives.  You can find lots of articles on LCD Tv's available in full text.

11c) Considering I make big detours to go to Starbucks, and worked in a Starbucks, as did both of my older sisters, I really should have guessed that they were in the lead for number of locations.  It got a little confusing though because while there are far more Starbucks than anything else, Dunkin Donuts (which is my drug of choice) takes in a lot more money than Starbucks'.  I think it has to be the donuts aspect of it.  If you go to Starbucks you go there for the coffee.  If you go to a Dunkin Donuts, you go there for the donuts.  I can't count the number of times I've gone in for one donut and somehow left with a dozen.  The DEA should check their ingrediants list. 

12) Because I was an English major in undergrad, the search engines like JStor and Academic Search Premier helped me the most.  Finding articles for homework and research papers is one of my strengths.  What has been interesting and challenging has been learning to use the several other subject databases that we own, such as Business Resource Center.  The Biography Research Center has been amazing as well.  Often I'll find things in our database that my school's subscription doesn't cover, or vice versa so it's been neat to compare.  It's helping me get a better understanding of just how much it takes to run a library.  It isn't just about the book costs.  It's about what digital subscriptions we take, what may be sacrificed because of that subscription,  but what other things may be gained.  People think the public library is free, but really it's anything but!

1 comment: